Day 5: Thursday, May 24, 2018

It's my last day at City Impact. I didn't expect for it to feel so bittersweet, especially since I've only been here for 4 days, but I have grown to really care for the people here. There is just so much love and kindness at this clinic, and the staff and volunteers are so warm and friendly.

Today, a dentist and orthodontist came in. I was able to shadow them for a couple of hours, and then ended up having a long conversation with the dentist. I was touched because she literally didn't need to reach out and care for me, but she did. She asked how my journey as a pre-dental student was going, and gave me advice and encouragement.

Sometimes the patients that come into the clinic look scary on the outside, but on the inside, they're just people like you and me that want to be loved and cared for. Marvin is one of those people. He comes in once a day (honestly mainly to talk to people), and so I decided to talk to him as he sat in the waiting room. It was interesting because he came from a background so different than mine, and his perspective on life was so different from mine.

Even though I came to City Impact to volunteer, I honestly think that they have helped me more than I was able to help them. The words of encouragement, the acts of kindness that they showed to me and the patients, and everything that I learned there was so much more than what I had expected to get when I chose to volunteer here.  I hope to come back again some time in the future.

This is the only picture I took during my time at City Impact. This is Dr. Cecilia, and she was the dentist that came in today. Such a beautiful, kind soul. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4: Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Day 6: Friday, May 25, 2018