Day 2: Monday, May 21, 2018

First day of volunteering at City Impact!

On my first day, I shadowed Dr. Clifford Lau, the doctor at the health clinic. Since a smaller amount of patients came in, I had some time to chat with Dr. Lau. I learned about how his faith influenced how he treated his patients, like how he does his absolute best to show love to each one of his patients, no matter how difficult they might be.

Dr. Lau goes above his required duties as a doctor. He tries to make sure to take a couple minutes to ask each patient how they're doing emotionally or in their personal life, and listens to them. Many of the patients that come into the health clinic at City Impact live on the fringes of society, so the fact that Dr. Lau treated them with such dignity and respect really humbled and touched me.

Too often, when people talk about doctors, one of the first things mentioned is about the typical "higher" salary. But it's too easy to forget that the heart of a doctor should be of a serving heart. Today reminded me of that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4: Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Day 6: Friday, May 25, 2018

Day 5: Thursday, May 24, 2018